Oven Baked Beans
Author: The Food Allergy Foodie’s Father
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Serves: 6-8 people
3 cups of French Navy beans
9-10 cups of water (enough to cover the beans)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups of Ketchup
1/2 cup of Yellow mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup Molasses
1 yellow onion, peeled with the ends cut off
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3/4 cup of gluten-free beer
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Add the three cups of French Navy beans to a 2-quart saucepan with 9-10 cups of water. You want enough water so the beans are covered. Bring the beans to a boil and let cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the beans are al dente. The beans should be a bit firm to the bite and not too soft or mushy. Stir the beans periodically, about every 15 minutes while cooking.
- Once the beans come to a boil, preheat the oven to 325°.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beans into a Dutch oven or stockpot that is oven-safe. Reserve the cooking water, as you will use that as the beans bake in the oven.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the beans in the Dutch oven. Mix well to combine. Place the yellow onion in the center of the pot.
- Cover the beans and place in the preheated oven. Bake for three hours. Check the beans every 30 minutes and add a ladle-full of reserved cooking water as needed. The sauce should be thick so only add as much water as needed to achieve the desired consistency.