Author: The Food Allergy Foodie
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 1 hour
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Sea salt or Kosher salt and pepper to taste
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
Rice Bowl Filling
1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
1 head of broccoli (or one 16-oz bag of broccoli florets), steamed
1 butternut squash, cubed and roasted
2 c. cooked brown rice
2 c. chicken stock
4 tablespoons coconut oil
Red Curry Sauce
1 cup of full-fat coconut milk
2 teaspoons red curry sauce
2 teaspoons peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- To prepare the marinade, combine the balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano, and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Transfer the marinade to a Ziplock bag or another airtight container.
- Add the chicken to the Ziplock bag. Close and toss to generously coat the chicken.
- Let marinate for one hour. After about 30 minutes, toss the bag to mix the marinate and recoat the chicken.
- As the chicken is marinating, begin cooking the rice. If using a rice cooker, follow the rice cooker’s instructions. My rice cooker is a one-to-one ratio; for cooking two cups of rice, I add two cups of brown rice to the rice cooker and two cups of chicken stock or water. If cooking on the stove, add two cups of rice with two cups of chicken stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook about 30 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on the rice so it doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the saucepan. If you find the liquid is reducing faster than the rice is cooking, add a bit more stock to the pan and turn the heat down to low.
- If you are using a whole butternut squash (versus buying pre-cut squash), use a fork and poke holes around the squash. Place the squash in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave and use a knife to remove the skin, top and bottom of the squash. By microwaving the squash first, it softens the skin and makes it much easier to peel the squash.
- Cut the squash into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash with the coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste (about 2 teaspoons of each spice).
- Transfer the squash to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the 400°oven for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, toss the squash and rotate the baking pan for even roasting.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the zucchini. Slice the zucchini into slim round pieces. Using a medium sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the pan. Once heated, add the sliced zucchini to the pan. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- If not using pre-cut broccoli, roughly chop the broccoli head. If steaming on the stovetop, add about an inch of water to a sauté pan. Let come to a boil and add the broccoli. Cover and let steam about 12 minutes. If using a vegetable steamer, cook according to the steamer’s directions.
- Once all of the vegetables are cooked, the chicken can be grilled. I prefer to grill chicken using a cast iron grill pan but a regular sauté pan or frying pan works just a well. Heat the pan over medium heat and add the cubed chicken pieces. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cube the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Lastly, prepare the red curry sauce. In a medium sauté pan, combine the full-fat coconut milk, red curry sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, and minced garlic. Stir consistently until the sugar melts and the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- To assemble the bowls, add the cooked brown rice to a bowl. Going around the bowl in a circle, add the chicken, butternut squash, broccoli, and zucchini. Drizzle the red curry sauce over the top and garnish with crushed cashews, if desired.